Doral's ZCO range of fused zirconia is based on technology licensed from the Asahi Glass company and involves the desilication of zircon sand.
Zircon is heated to over 2,800 degrees Celsius in an electric arc furnace and dissociates to molten Zirconia and silica. The silica is driven off and collected separately as a silica fume, while the Zirconia is cooled to room temperature to produce a coarse granular material
Fused Zirconia Range
The fused Zirconia is graded, crushed, sized and available in five purities up to 99.3 wt% ZrO2. All grades are available in either milled or unmilled sizes depending on customer requirements. Standard unmilled sizes are <0.5mm or <10 mm while milled sizes are 6um, 4.5um and 3um. Custom sizes are also available upon request.
We also produce a range of low uranium and thorium (<500ppm combined) products in a variety of grades and sizes.
Our Fused Zirconia is monoclinic in shape with typical characteristics such as:
- Good mechanical properties and stability at high temperatures
- Superior thermal resistance and corrosion resistance
- Consistency of its physical and chemical characteristics
- High chemical inertness
Fused Zirconia Applications
Fused Zirconia has many unique and complex properties which make it suitable for a variety of different high end refractory, ceramic, and electronics applications.
Our Fused Zirconia finds its way in many applications and is used in the following industries and areas:
- Refractories used in the production of steel and glass products
- Manufacture of heat resistant refractory materials and shapes
- Fused cast brick for glass furnaces
- Special Refractories - slide gates, long nozzles and crucibles
- Ceramic fillters - foundry casting
- Ceramic colours and glazes
Fused Zirconia powders are used in the preparation of ceramic pigments which form the basis of most colourants used for tableware, sanitary ware, and floor and wall tiles. They resist high temperature firing processes and the unique crystal structure of Zirconia enables it to make a wide selection of coloured stains ready for application to ceramic tiles.
DFM's Zirconia is used by leading international pigment manufacturers to produce praseodymium yellow, vanadium blue, and iron coral pink colours. DFM has a full range of Zirconia grades to suit customer requirements and a fully equipped colours laboratory to develop new grades of Zirconia suitable for pigments and to support customer qualification. Colours can be produced, tested and compared against customer requirements at DFM's facilities to fast track the approval process
- Other Applications
- Friction products in the auto industry - brake linings
- Welding rods
- Technical ceramics and electronics - setter plates and saggers
- Zirconium Metals and Alloys
- Zirconium Sponge for structural parts for reactors in the Nuclear Industry